Unmasking the Culprits Behind Electrical Fires

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Unmasking the Culprits Behind Electrical Fires

Unmasking the Culprits Behind Electrical Fires

We talk a lot about basic, run-of-the-mill electrical safety on this blog, but today we’re touching on something more serious: electrical fires. Electrical fires account for thousands of residential fires across the country, and we want to help you keep your home and family safe.

Join us as we shine a light on the culprits that can turn your peaceful abode into a serious source of danger.

Faulty Electrical Outlets

For most electrical fires, all it takes is one faulty outlet to create a serious hazard to your health and safety. Whether the wiring is old, loose, or chewed on by rodents, all the outlets in your home are capable of starting a fire.

To help prevent any of these issues, you need to inspect your outlets regularly. Look out for signs of wear and tear, including any soot around plugs and light switches. Call a professional if you feel like your outlets may be in need of some repair. 

Unsafe Appliances

We live in a modern society, which means we rely on multiple appliances to function, including lamps, WiFi routers, fridges, coffee-makers, and more.

Unfortunately, faulty appliances (e.g. frayed phone chargers) and a lack of regular preventative maintenance can be enough to set your house on fire. You need to treat everything you plug in with respect.

Before you plug anything in, always check that the plastic coating isn’t peeling off the wire. You should also make sure to use power strips and surge protectors to prevent power surges. Finally, avoid crowding furniture, boxes, etc. around your outlets, and keep your hair dryers and curling irons clear of water puddles.

Incorrect Light Bulbs

No matter how old or new your wiring is, you have to make sure your lightbulbs are the correct voltage to match it. Installing high-wattage bulbs in low-wattage lamps could be the beginning of a fire. Make sure to double-check the wattage before installing new light bulbs. If your lights are overheating when in use, it’s time to find a lower-wattage bulb to prevent future issues.

Outdated or Damaged Wiring

Old or damaged wires are one of the most common causes of electrical fires. It’s not just your outlets you need to worry about; any loose wires in your house are a big problem.

Trust us, it’s a recipe for disaster. When electrical wiring is poorly installed, outdated, or simply in dire need of basic maintenance, it becomes a ticking time bomb. Frayed wires, loose connections, and overloaded circuits are all culprits, waiting for the perfect moment to ignite a flame. 

Prevention and immediate action are key; if you see a loose wire in your home, call the professionals.

Create a safe electrical system with Yoder Electric!

Remember, prevention is your best weapon against electrical fires. Invest in proper wiring, treat your appliances with care, and keep a vigilant eye on your outlets. 

And should you ever encounter any signs of trouble, don’t wait to call Yoder Electric. Stay safe, and contact us to learn more!

Scroll to Top

Claim this Special Offer!

Claim this Special Offer!

We strive for 100% customer satisfaction. If we fell short, please tell us more so we can address your concern